Breast Reduction Surgery: Surgery Day

Xanax is the only reason I got a good night’s sleep. I was nervous as heck. And even wrote out instructions for my aunt to paint my nails, in case I didn’t make it through surgery.

I woke up at 4:30 a.m. Took a shower, blow dried my hair, and then stared at myself in the mirror for a little bit. This was the last time I’d see my chest like this so I wanted to soak it all in.

I was heading into breast reduction surgery.

We hit the road at 5:45 a.m. and arrived by 6:15 a.m. 15 minutes earlier than expected, in true Meg fashion.

It was like an out of body experience. I was going through the motions, in complete disbelief that I was actually doing this.

The staff at the Ambulatory Surgical Center where I had my procedure done was INCREDIBLE. They were so understanding of my nerves and showed so much compassion.

I had a little moment with my nurse when she asked about the tattoo on my wrist – “I love you” in my Dad’s writing. I finally let the water works go and let those tears flow.

Man, that felt better.

I have no recollection of time from the moment I got there until I left from the procedure. But, I felt like it was only a few minutes before my doctor came in to do the drawings.

I was so impressed at how precise he was. He was like a master finishing his canvas. He measured EVERYTHING. Everything was symmetrical. It was so impressive. I’m grateful at how intense he did everything, because... ya know. They are my boobs.

The first thing I said when he was done was, “THAT is where my nipple is going to be?! All the way up there!?” He just laughed. So did my mother when I recreated the moment and showed her what the drawings looked like.

The anesthesiologist came to ask me some questions (I can’t remember if it was before or after the drawings) and I remember him asking specifically about heartburn. I told him that I only get heartburn if I have too much wine.

Next thing I knew, I was walking (yes, walking) into the operating room. There was 6 or 7 people in there already. They told me to lie on the table and put my arms out on the pads and I got really emotional. The nurse who walked me in said, “Don’t worry, we’re just getting things prepped before you go to sleep.”

Then my anesthesiologist spoke to my heart. He said, “Ok Meg. I’m going to give you the biggest glass of wine you’ve ever had. And this one will not give you heartburn.”

Sweet Jesus. He did me good.

I don’t remember much after that. The conversations afterwards are kind of fuzzy but according to my mom I asked everyone how they looked.

The ride home is a blur. I woke up 2-3 times to see where on the highway I was. And then slept for a good portion of the day.

I’m writing this Day 3 post-op and feeling slight discomfort and pain. Moving is not very easy. And I am peeing like crazy because of how much water I’m drinking.

I’ll do another post later in the week, but so many of you were asking about surgery day so I wanted to share a quick update.

I will tell you that this was 100% the best decision I could’ve made. I already feel so much relief in my neck from the amount of weight that has been removed. It’s amazing. And now looking at pictures from before, I’m actually grossed out at how big my chest was.

I can’t thank you all enough for your kind words, prayers, and comments on my posts leading up to this surgery. I’m so grateful I decided to share my story because it’s helped so many of you.

Post a Comment